Vai al contenuto principale

Frequently asked questions

How long is a Ph.D. Program?
Ph.D. Programs at the University of Turin last three or four years, depending on the program.

How do I know which classes are scheduled/I must attend as part of my Ph.D.?
As far as scientific training is concerned, you can refer to the Ph.D. Programs website. Should you have any questions or doubts about classes to be taken, please, contact your Program Coordinator or Supervisor.
Information about the complementary training classes organized by the Doctoral School are available here. These classes are opened to PhD candidates from all the programs.

Can I attend classes organized by the University of Turin as part of under graduate/graduate programs or other Ph.D. programs? Can I attend classes organized by other institutions?
It is allowed attending classes consistent with your doctoral curriculum outside your own Ph.D. Program, upon approval of your Program Coordinator and Supervisor.

What is the purpose of complementary training classes organized by the Doctoral School? How this work is recognized?
Complementary training classes organized by the Doctoral School aims at expanding skills that are transversal to research disciplines and transferable to other fields. Classes encompass basic skills (such as bibliographic and data base research), research project writing, dissemination of results etc.
The Doctoral School issues attendance certificates mentioning the number of hours done.
Attendance certificates may be submitted to the Program Coordinator in order to be recognized as part of your doctoral curriculum, according to the Ph.D. Program rules.

Is the Ph.D. compatible with working activity or enrolment in other degree programs?
The Ph.D. requires a full-time commitment and generally is not compatible with working activity.
Whether you intend to work during Ph.D. attendance, you must inform your supervisor and submit a formal request (by email) to the Program Coordinator. If you still have to enroll, you must report on Form C information about your working activity. The Doctoral Board will examine your request and may approve it on the earliest session. The Doctoral Board approval is required, regardless of whether you are recipient of a scholarship or not.
For further details, please, see the page Simultaneous activities.

As far as the concurrent enrollment in other programs awarding degrees is concerned, please, visit the page Simultaneous activities.

Is teaching activity envisaged for Ph.D. Candidates?
Subject to the Doctoral Board approval, Ph.D. Candidates can carry out complementary teaching and tutoring activity addressed to students enrolled in under-graduate/graduate programs with the limit of 40 hours per year.

Can Ph.D. Candidates spend a research/study stay abroad and/or in other institutions?
Yes, it’s allowed, however the period can’t last more than half the actual length of the Program.

What is a PhD dissertation in “Co-tutelle" (joint supervision)?
Co-tutelle allows Ph.D. Candidates to prepare their dissertation spending research periods both at their home university and at a partner university abroad, with which a scientific cooperation agreement has been previously signed. The dissertation can therefore be prepared under two supervisors’ direction and defended in one of the two institutions. A double degree is awarded as a result.
The application must be submitted within the first year of enrollment, while the whole procedure must be concluded within the first 18 months after Ph.D. enrollment.
For further information about co-tutelle, please, see the dedicated UniTo portal page.

Is knowledge of Italian required?
You must verify whether this is a requirement for the Program that you are interested in. At the page Ph.D. Programs, you can find the list of Programs; by clicking on the Program of your interest, you can access its website and take a look at the Program description. For further information about the Ph.D. Program of your interest, you can contact the Program Coordinator. Contact details are available on each Program website under “People” (on the menu bar).

Do I have to carry out my activity at the University of Turin?
The main place of Ph.D. candidates’ activity is the Supervisor’s Department.

Are holiday and/or sick leave envisaged?
Ph.D. attendance involves the enrollment in a third level degree program and doesn’t envisage the institution of holiday or sick leave. In case of serious and documented illness, you can apply for a suspension (in accordance with Art. 27 of the Doctoral School Rules [in Italian only]). Rest periods must instead be agreed with your Supervisor.

How the supervisor assignment works?
The Doctoral Board assigns a research topic and a supervisor, under whom the research and training project is developed, to each Ph.D. candidate. In case of collaboration with a company or a public institution, external co-supervisors may be appointed to contribute to supervising Ph.D. candidate’s activity.
Ph.D. candidates aren’t required to find a supervisor before applying for Ph.D. admission.

Do I have to renew my enrollment each year?
To make the transition to the following year, the Doctoral Board approval is required. You must therefore submit to the Board a report on activities you carried out and pay your annual fee.
For further information, please, see the page Renewal of the enrollment.

Are Ph.D. candidates covered by any insurance policy?
Yes, when the Ph.D. Program starts, an accidents policy and a third-party liability policy, covering each Ph.D. candidate, are activated by default, lasting for the whole duration of the Program. Details are available on the UniTo portal, at the page Insurance.
Please, note that the insurance coverage ceases when your Ph.D. Program legally ends. Throughout the period from the end of the Program to the dissertation defense, PhD candidates are no longer covered by the above-mentioned policies. Consequently, Ph.D. candidates who intend carry out training and research activities during this period are recommended to autonomously stipulate an insurance as an “attendee” (frequentatore). Insurance services of Turin University offer the possibility to sign an accidents policy and a third-party liability policy with the company UnipolSai Assicurazioni. In order to apply for insurance policies, please, read the circular N° 1 of 02/01/2019 and fill in the forms available on the UniTo portal, at the webpage  Assicurazioni.

Is safety training required?
Yes, all Ph.D. candidates are required to take and complete a compulsory 4-hours training on health and safety in workplace. The training is available online along with the final test. Those who have already taken a safety training and hold the relevant certificate (that is valid for 5 years) are exempted from this obligation.
At the beginning of each Ph.D. cycle, the PhD Office sends to all Ph.D. candidates an email with details in this regard.

How can I apply for admission to Ph.D.?
You can apply for admission to Ph.D. only by submitting your application following the advertised annual Call for applications. Applications can exclusively submitted via the specific online platform.

For further information, please see the Admissions and Requirements page.

Where can I find the Call?
The Call for applications and its annexes (which are an integral part of the Call, as for example the Ph.D Program Info Sheet,) are published on the Italian Doctoral School website, at the bi-lingual page is under the section “Bando/Call”.
You can aslo find the link under the tag "Submitting your applications" or "Call", under the menu bar item "Prospective Ph.D. Candidates".

Can I submit more than one application for admission to Ph.D.?
You can submit multiple applications, one for each Ph.D. Program. However, you can’t submit more than one application for the same Ph.D. Program. 

What are requirements for accessing Ph.D.?
You can apply for Ph.D. admission if you hold a Master’s Degree or an equivalent degree that gives access to the third cycle studies, regardless of your age or nationality. Any additional requirements are specified in the single Call for applications.

I have not achieved my Master’s Degree yet. Can I also apply?
You can apply for admission to Ph.D. on condition that you  achieve the qualification required for admission within the deadline specified in the Call.

What documents should I submit?
The documents to be attached to your application are specified in the Call and the relevant annexes. Candidates are strongly advised to prepare the documents required by the Call and annexes before starting the application submission procedure. 

Do I have to pay an application fee to apply?
The application fee is € 50,00 for each application submitted. However, candidates who hold (or are achieving) a foreign degree (giving access to Ph.D. studies) are exempt from payment.

The application fee is never refundable. The fee payment is required to submit your application and can only be made via the Pago PA system from the online application platform. Payment can be only made online.

I wish to apply for a Ph.D. Program delivered jointly by UniTo and other partner universities (Joint Ph.D. Program). Which is the Office to contact to have further information?
You should contact the University which is the administrative seat of the Program. If UniTo is not the administrative seat of the Program of your interest, you can find relevant contact details on the website of the Ph.D. Program (under the menu bar item “People”). You can reach Ph.D. Programs websites from the webpage Ph.D. Programs, clicking on the Program of your interest.

Is an English knowledge certificate required to apply? 
Please, see the Call to verify whether such a requirement is required.

I already have a Ph.D. Degree. Can I apply for Ph.D.?
Yes, you can apply. However, if you achieved your Ph.D. in Italy or have already benefitted from a Ph.D. scholarship, even partial, in Italy, you are not be eligible for scholarships.

I am Italian citizen, but I achieved my degree in a foreign university. Do I have to apply for “ordinary positions” or “positions reserved to candidates holding foreign qualifications”?
If the Call provides for this kind of positions and you graduated in a foreign university, you can choose whether to apply for reserved positions or for ordinary positions. However, citizenship is not relevant.

What does it mean to apply for “positions reserved to candidates holding foreign qualifications”?
Requirements or assessment criteria or research projects may are different from those required for ordinary positions. In any case, candidates who apply for this positions are assessed on a separate ranking list.

Do I have to find a supervisor before applying? 
No, you don’t. Supervisors are appointed by the Doctoral Board of each Ph.D. Program, according to research topics, after being admitted to the Ph.D.


Is my foreign degree appropriate to access Ph.D.?
If you have never applied for and obtained an “Equivalence/Equipollenza” (namely,  an Italian university has issued an Italian degree corresponding to your foreign degree), your qualification shall be assessed by the Examining Board, which my declare your foreign degree equivalent or not equivalent to an Italian Master’s degree (Laurea Magistrale). The Examining Board assesses possible equivalence of foreign qualifications exclusively for the purposes of selections for admission to the Ph.D. Program for which you applied.

If you wish to have an opinion about the possible equivalence of your foreign degree to an Italian second cycle degree, you can use the specific CIMEA service.

I am a foreign citizen. Should I apply for “positions reserved to candidates holding foreign qualifications”?
If the Call provides for an admission selection reserved to candidates holding a foreign degree and you graduated in a foreign university, you can choose whether to apply for a selection for reserved positions or for ordinary positions. However, citizenship is not relevant.

Do I have to attach special/additional documents to my applications?
If you have a foreign qualification, you must attach to the application:

  • Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree diplomas and related transcripts (the lack of such documents entails the exclusion from selections)
  • Diploma Supplement or a Dichiarazione di Valore in loco or a certificate of verification and comparability issued by ENIC- NARIC centres.

If in a language other than Italian, English or French, the official documents listed above must be accompanied by a translation in one of these languages. Translations must be certified copies.

How can I obtain a Diploma Supplement or Dichiarazione di Valore?
The Diploma Supplement can be awarded by the university where you have obtained the degree. In case the university does not provide for the issue of the Diploma Supplement, you must request a Declaration of Value relating to your degree of study at the competent Italian embassy or consulate.

How can I obtain a proper translation of my documents?
If your documents are written in a language other than those accepted by the Call, they must be accompanied by an official translation into one of those languages. The translation must be certified as conformed to the original by the university which issued your qualification or by the local Italian Consulate/Embassy (or by a translation agency recommended by the Italian Consulate/Embassy).
If you are in Italy, you can contact Ufficio Asseverazioni perizie e Traduzioni of courthouses (tribunali). 

In any case, translations made independently by the candidates are not accepted.

How do the selections for admission to Ph.D. take place?
Each Ph.D. Program specifies within the Programme Information sheet (Annex 1) procedures for selecting candidates. Selections may consist of an assessment of qualifications and an interview or including also a written test.

How can I know if I have passed selections?
Results of the qualifications and equivalences assessment, as well as  final results, are published on the website of the Doctoral School, at the page dedicated to the Call, section “Selezioni/Selections”. Applicants shall not receive any personal communication of the results.

How can I know the date, procedure and place of  written examination and/or  interview?
Dates and places are published on the website of the Doctoral School, at the page dedicated to the Call, section “Selezioni/Selection”. Applicants shall not receive any personal information.

Is it possible to carry out examinations remotely (on-line)? 
Yes, if provided for by the Call.

How does the online application work? Are guidelines available?
Yes, you can find the "Guide for Applicants" on the Doctoral School’s website, at the page dedicated to the Call, under the section “Fare domanda/How to apply”. The "Guide for Applicants" shows the steps required to fill in, submit, modify or withdraw your application.

I have  technical problems in apllying online. How can I have support?
You must submit your support request by clicking on the Support link at the bottom of the application webpage, specifying your application ID.

How should I write the Research Project?
You can find the information in the Information Sheet (Annex 1) of the Ph.d. Program for which you wish to apply. If you need further information, you can contact the Program Coordinator, mentioned in the Program Information Sheet (Annex 1).

I achieved my Master’s Degree in a foreign university.  What should I tick in the box "Foreign awarded degree" (Section 4 of the Application – Titoli accademici/Admission qualifications) answering the question "Indicate whether the degree obtained abroad is recognised by an Italian University”.
If, upon application, your foreign degree has been recognised by an Italian University with the aim of awarding a corresponding Italian second cycle degree (Laurea Magistrale), you shall tick the first box (A diploma obtained abroad recognised by an Italian university).
If not, you shall tick the second box in order to ask the Examination Board to assess the possible eligibility of your qualification. (Master's Degree abroad not yet recognised and for which eligibility has to be required to the Examination Board for the sole purposes of the selection).

How and what documents should be uploaded in Section 4 of the online application ("Titoli accademici/admission qualifications")?
Depending on the status you select (Tipo/Type), you have to upload documents differently.
If you are:

a) Graduates in an Italian university: you don't need to upload any document, but simply enter the required information in the “Titolo di accesso/Admission Qualification” box;

b) Graduates in a foreign university: you must upload your Master’s degree Diploma and Transcripts (and any supplementary documents such as Diploma Supplement or Declaration of Value or Certificates of Verification and Comparability) in the box “Titolo di studio estero/Foreign awarded degree”;

c) Graduands in an Italian university: you must upload in the box “Laurea triennale/Bachelor" a self-certification including a list of exams passed during Master and Bachelor degree or single-cycle degree programs, with related grades, credits and weighted average;

d) Graduands in a foreign university: you must upload your Master’s Transcripts, Bachelor’s Diploma and Transcripts in the box “Laurea triennale/Bachelor".

For further information, please, see the "Guide for applicants”, at the page dedicated to the Call, under "Fare domanda/How to apply.

Where can I upload Research Project/CV/publications or other specific documents required by the PhD Programme (Annex I)?
You can upload the documents required by the PhD Programme Information Sheet (Annex I) in the Section 5 of the online application (“Titoli da allegare per la presentazione della domanda/Documents to be submitted with the application form”).
If the PhD programme Information Sheet (Annex 1), under the item “Research Project”, requires additional documents (e.g. a motivational letter, thesis chapters, etc.), you can attach these documents within the Project file.

For further information, please, see the "Guide for applicants”, at the page dedicated to the Call, under "Fare domanda/How to apply.

Where can I find the CV template to submit for applying? Do I necessarily have to use this template?
The CV template (Annex A1 of the Call) - to be used to apply online - is available at the page dedicated to the Call, under the section “Fare domanda/How to apply”.

CV templates other than that specified in the Call are not admissible.

I have technical problems with the online application procedure. How can I solve them?
If you have any technical problems with the online application, please, contact IT support available by clicking on the Support link at the bottom of the application webpage.

I’ve omitted some information and/or I didn’t upload all the required documents when applying. How can I fix it?
If you have submitted your application and already received a confirmation email, you can no longer access your application in order to modify it, but you can only withdraw it by accessing the withdrawal procedure from the dashboard. This allows you to fill in and submit a new application, paying the application fee again (if you are not exempted). Furthermore, you can recover the tax payment made for the withdrawn application and use it to pay the tax of the new application.

If you have created the PDF file of your application, but you have not completed the submission procedure (the signed application has not been uploaded and therefore you have not received an email confirming the application submission), then you can contact PICA support (you can find the link at the bottom of the application webpage) asking to open your application again. Your request must include the reason of your request, your application ID and a copy of your ID document.

Can I attach reference letters?
Reference letters can’t be attached to the application. The letters must be forwarded by referees through the online platform PICA. Reference letters can be requested only after submitting your application. 

For further information, please see the “Guide for applicants”, available on the Doctoral School website at the page dedicated to the Call, under the section “Fare domanda/How to apply”.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

After admission to a Ph.D. Program, do I have to enroll?
Yes, you must enroll online within the terms specified in the final merit ranking list.

If I enroll and then, later, I renounce my Ph.D. position, do I incur any penalties?
No, you can renounce at any time, even after starting the Program (however, in the latter case, you will have to be compliant with fees payment and submit a withdrawal request along with a € 16,00 stamp duty).

If  the ranking list slides, can I benefit from a scholarship?
Yes, you can benefit from a scholarship if the position you obtain is a position with scholarship. The Ph.D. Office will contact you by e-mail, offering you the available position and specifying how to accept it.

Do I have to register with INPS (the Italian social security and welfare institute), under “Gestione Separata”? How do I register?
Yes, upon the beginning of the Ph.D. Program, Ph.D. scholarship recipients must register with INPS – Gestione Separata (according to Art.1 of the Law 315/1998), selecting the category: “Lavoratore parasubordinato”. In order to register, you must have SPID credentials (only if you hold an Italian ID document).  Foreign citizens who doesn’t hold an Italian ID document must instead apply for an INPS PIN code once in Italy.  To obtain your PIN, you can make an appointment by either the INPS Contact Center  or INPS Mobile app (if you wish to have guidance in using the app, just contact
Once in possession of your credentials, you can make the registration online on the INPS Portal.
Please, note that you must be domiciled in Italy to register with INPS.

What online services are available for Ph.D. candidates?
Each Ph.D. candidate has two webmail accounts and two profiles, as a student ( and as a Ph.D. candidate (, on which official communications are sent.
You can use both Teaching online services (MyUniTo student profile, which you can access with your credentials as a student) and Research online services (MyUniTo Ph.D. candidate profile, Intranet, IRIS etc., which you can access with your SCU credentials as a Ph.D. candidate).
For further information or technical support, please, see the specific webpage on the UniTo Portal.

How can I obtain my Smart Card?
Smart card for Ph.D. candidates is available in electronic format only. To display your Smart Card, you must download MyUnito+ App and login with your credentials as a student. All useful information about MyUnito+ App are available at the specific webpage on UniTo Portal (in Italian only).
To benefit from the EDISU canteen service and any related reductions, you have to obtain an EDISU smart card. For further information, please, see the specific webpage.

Who can support me and give me information regarding the city of Turin and/or possible accommodations?
On the UniTo Portal, you can find useful information at the webpage Study in Turin. If you are looking for an accommodation, see the UniTo Portal webpage Housing, where you will find information and contact details which can support you in your search, and the webpage Living in Turin on the Doctoral School website.

I’m an extra UE citizen. How can I obtain visa and residence permit?
To enter Italy as a Ph.D. candidate, you must apply for a student visa at the Italian consulate of your jurisdiction. For further information about visa for Italy, please, see the Foreign Affairs Ministry website.
Contact the PhD Office ( to obtain your invitation letter and register with the online platform Universitaly to submit your visa application (in case the local consulate requires you to take this step). Please, inform the PhD Office once you have submitted your application by Universitaly.
For support in the administrative procedures required to apply for the residence permit, you can contact the Incoming Office (, that will help you in dealing with procedures. Furthermore, you can ask the PhD Office to prepare a letter, to be presented to Questura (Police headquarters), certifying your enrollment in a Ph.D. Program.

I am a foreign citizen. Do I need to stipulate a health insurance policy to stay in Italy?
For information about any health policies and the Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale-SSN) you can see the webpage Health and insurance, on the UniTo portal, or the EDISU website

For further information, please, contact UniTo support or EDISU, writing to

I’m a foreign citizen and I was awarded a scholarship, but I’m not in Italy yet: how can I obtain my TAX CODE (Codice Fiscale)?
You can apply for Tax Code at the local Italian consulate or embassy or by applying directly from Agenzia delle Entrate at this page:

Are Ph.D. scholarships available? How much is the amount of a Ph.D. scholarship?
Each UniTo Ph.D. Program make positions with scholarship available. The number of positions with scholarship available for each Program is specified in the Program Info Sheet, annexed to the Call for Applications. In addition to positions with ordinary scholarship, PhD Programs may provide positions with scholarship reserved to students holding foreign qualifications, to employees of companies in agreement with the University of Turin or linked to specific research topics.
To date the annual gross amount of a standard scholarship is € 17.500,00.
Any additional Ph.D. scholarships funded by third parties may have different amounts. In such cases, details about the scholarship are provided in the Call for Applications and in the specific grant agreement.

How can I apply for a Ph.D. scholarship?
When applying for a Ph.D. position advertised in the Call for Applications, candidates also apply for a scholarship. Therefore, a separate application is not necessary. For further information, please, see the webpage Financial Aid.

I’ve already achieved a Ph.D. Degree. Can I apply for a Ph.D. scholarship?
If you have already achieved a Ph.D. Degree or benefitted from a Ph.D. scholarship in Italy, even partially, you can’t be awarded a Ph.D. scholarship. Nevertheless, you can apply for a Ph.D. position.

How and when Ph.D. candidates’ scholarship is paid?
Scholarship instalments are paid on a monthly basis on the 25th of each month (in other words, if the Program starts on November 1, the first instalment is paid on November 25).

Details about scholarship instalment are available on Ph.D. candidates’ monthly payslip, which can be downloaded through MyUnito, by logging in with one’s credential as a Ph.D. candidate ( and selecting the item “Cedolino stipendi / CUD on line".

Do I have to declare my scholarship for tax purposes?
No, you don’t. The Ph.D. scholarship is indeed exempt from IRPEF according to Art. 4 of the Law 476/1984.
The University is required to issue a Single Certification (Certificazione Unica-CU) for exempt incomes, which is available online by logging in with your credentials as a Ph.D. candidate. To download the CU document for annual incomes, you have to log into your My Unito with your credential as a Ph.D. candidate and select the item "Cedolino stipendi / CUD on line". Since the scholarship is exempt from IRPEF, only CU notes section is draft.

Can a scholarship be increased? 
If applicable, a Ph.D. scholarship can be increased by 50% when spending a research stay abroad. The amount is fixed and paid according to the number of days spent abroad. For further information, please, see the webpage Financial aid.

Is there any fund for research and training activities related expenses?
Ph.D. candidates both with and without scholarship are eligible for benefitting from a budget for research activity of no less than 10% of a standard scholarship.
For further information about eligible expenditures and how to apply for using 10% budget, please, see the page Financial aid.

I’m not recipient of a scholarship. Am I entitled to benefit from an increase for research period abroad and/or to use the budget for research and training activities?
Ph.D. Candidates who are not recipient of a scholarship can’t benefit from an increase for research period abroad. However, from the second year of the Program, they are eligible for using the budget for research and training activities. 

Is there any incompatibility with a scholarship?
A Ph.D. scholarship cannot be combined with any other scholarship but those awarded by national or foreign institutions aimed at supplementing scholarship recipients‘ research and training activity through periods abroad.


Last update: 05/10/2023 09:10
Non cliccare qui!